DJ Toomp Studio Talk: Hardware vs Software

February 8, 2010

BLVDST interviews DJ Toomp to add his thoughts to the never ending hardware/software debate.  Toomp explains his personal preferences for a number of studio items used most frequently and offers insight into his ideal sound.

I still just like to blend the two of them together. It’s hard and software together.  Software got its own thing.  You got Reason, you got Logic, Cubase, a few other programs.  One thing I can say is I love the strings that come off most of the software.

Notable Studio Items:

• Three Akai MPC3000’s
  • Four ASR-10’s
  • Roland Fantom-S
  • Akai MPC2500
  • Propellerhead Reason & Record
  • Mackie Mixing Board
  • Stanton T.80 Turntable

{ 57 comments… read them below or add one }

P.B. February 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Toomp seems like a real cool guy.
He talks a lot of sense, and he is spot on with the software vs hardware debate.
They both have their uses.

ibn yasir February 8, 2010 at 5:27 pm

A lot of good points from him.

Mr. Preacher February 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm

4 ASR-10s??? jesus wtf can u do with ASR 10 ? lol i guesss if one breaks he good for another 3

illskilz February 9, 2010 at 4:13 am

asr 10 are 12-16 bit keyboard samplers,

check out producer nottz or illmind drums those are always made on the asr 10 wich gives your drums a more realistic feel

Myth Buster February 8, 2010 at 6:52 pm

What about the MPC60!!!!!

ClearBlue February 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I think he meant 2 MPC60’s

tony traxx February 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm

great post semantic ! im a loyal cratekings cat and yo. this is one of the best interviews i seen up here .word. now the debate on hardwear vs softwear is put to rest . JUST USE BOTH ! don’t turn neither one of them down. i hope it stays like that forever. Dj toomp much props !

Semantik February 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

It’s one of my favorites too. Definitely a gem.

illskilz February 9, 2010 at 4:14 am

this intervieuw was super dope

Malcolm Maximillion February 8, 2010 at 8:48 pm

He spoke the truth. But does he really need for ASR’s?

illskilz February 9, 2010 at 4:16 am

check out producer nottz his beats or illmind both asr 10 users for the dirty 12-16 bit drums you can get out of it 🙂

Cleeshay. February 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Clearly a Fav for me too, always been thinking a bit like that, taking the best outta everything, i got a 2500, but i would looove to put my hands on an asr-10, or a vintage analog synth with a warm sound, or i don’t know, an SP-1200 too, i do use reason and Logic so i’m not against software at all. I’m not that experienced really, but it made me think that i was doing/thinking the good way.

bottom line : if it’s dope, it’s dope, no matter what u use, i’m not the first to say that but damn, people gotta stop arguing about what is better and just do (good) music.

nice post Semantik

Dj ILL One February 8, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Toomp is a dope producer. I love his explanations. We need more of that tipe of wisdom in this game. He was right about the MPC,I did sell my 2000 after I really learned Reason,but only because I needed the space.So i went to a MPD because of space. I`ve used Mpc 2000,XL and SP 1200.I also onwed a ASR-10 for a short time so I`ve been through the ranks. I am soo glad he put it out there that both hardware and software can co-exist in harmony. I am getting tired of the debates. Semtantik,you`ve done it again. Keep the good posts comming.

da real bingo February 8, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Everyone should already know this. No matter what, your going to need some sort of hardware to be completely productive. You’ll need a pad controller (Mpd), maybe a mixer, a turntable if you sample records, a least a midi controller or something. I guess people big debate is software vs. stand alone hardware. The biggest debate seems to be do I need a mpc or not. Thats everyone’s biggest thing, that I’ve seen. Im still debating that. Ive been usin FL Studio since like ’02 and Reason since like ’05. I had an MPC 1000 sold it because I was choppin everything in computer and bringing it over anyway. Now I got an MPD24 but I still crave that MPC2000xl just because thats what most underground producers use. (Heehee)

Schpilkas February 8, 2010 at 9:53 pm

good interview… everything you use and have, has it’s place in production.

Reason & Record (woot-woot!)

I’m proud to be part of the Propellerheads fam.

silas February 8, 2010 at 11:18 pm

how well does record work for you ? i still havent got my hand on it and i have been wondering about it

silas February 8, 2010 at 11:17 pm

i sold my mp a year ago and rock redrum for my drums, drop it in pt and chop it up on the grid, i do all my intstrumentation with soft synths in midi using a contoller and just print it to audio when its right.

Vj kado February 9, 2010 at 12:31 am

Definite Gem, this site delivers as usual.

3 Sons Productions February 9, 2010 at 1:02 am

Great video.

illskilz February 9, 2010 at 4:15 am

this video is dope

for inbstance check out producer nottz dude does everything with his asr 10 (drumwise)and you can hear the 12-16 bit init

hazardouslee February 9, 2010 at 5:32 am

Straight up and down, DJ toomp is that nigga. Out of all down south producers from zaytoven, drumma boy, etc dj toomp hands down. His beat are more impactful to my taste. The man can flip a sample and play his own way. Much respect for knowledge and humbleness from DJ TOOMP.

derz February 9, 2010 at 5:43 am

i love how these producers drop knowledge on these lil videos…

yo Toomp, I’ll take one of those ASR-10s off ya hands!!!

yikes February 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Toomp is that dude! Great interview, humble cat.

AWBSKURE/3AM February 9, 2010 at 3:20 pm

dj toomp is like the dre of the south no question hes right dont really matter what you use! ive been using this tiny ass sampler i bought from ebay for like 8 years now its called zoomsampletrak, i got reason and logic but for drum programing and pads i preffer the zoom then i incorporate reason for my basses
or logic for strings or synths!!

Schpilkas February 9, 2010 at 4:12 pm

@ silas: I love RECORD. it’s a blessing to be able to track live instruments/vocals alongside Reason’s MIDI sequences now. The gates, filters, eq’s and master bus compression are pretty damn on point. It’s pretty straight forward to just Record… no crazy bells and whistles.

Check out my Propellerheads Artist Patch feature:

peace.

DECAPITATAH February 10, 2010 at 1:54 am

It’s Videos like these that make me want to pursue this production shit to the fullest. Great Post.

sumoftheparts February 10, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Great post Thankyou.

givenchy lucrezia October 30, 2016 at 11:12 am

Bag Nirvana this travelling bag blogDate Increased: Walk 22, 2006Chanel | High end with MetallicFantastic news flash – A brand new series with the Household of Chanel!All the luggage made by this Luxury Series by means of Chanel are usually magnificent. However for this informative article Need to teach you this large go-karting carrier throughout metal clean calfskin household leather (this case is usually to be found in jean material). I ran across this graphic to get essentially the most humorous these days kinds with the innovative Chanel range. . your type appears like she’ersus on the verge of express “my very own!” Very well, that could be what I would probably mimic very with the initially hours basically acquired this kind of High-class Chanel travelling bag.Go on a go through the new “>Luxury by means of Chanel Range!
givenchy lucrezia http://www.hoatinhnguyen.com/givenchy-givenchy-lucrezia-c-33_36.html

free minecraft download May 10, 2019 at 6:04 am

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

g May 13, 2019 at 6:54 am

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform
you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own blog
in the near future but I’m having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs
and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

g May 13, 2019 at 10:43 pm

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website.
I’m hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well.

In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now 😉

minecraft download free May 14, 2019 at 9:36 am

It’s amazing to pay a quick visit this website and reading the views of all colleagues about this piece of writing, while I am also keen of getting knowledge.

how to get help in windows 10 May 28, 2019 at 9:08 am

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this article plus the rest of the site is extremely good.

gamefly free trial May 29, 2019 at 10:41 am

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet users,
its really really nice post on building up new blog.

gamefly free trial June 2, 2019 at 9:48 am

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I
need some advice from an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog?

I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

gamefly free trial June 3, 2019 at 7:49 am

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog
that’s both equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
The issue is something which too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
I am very happy that I found this during my hunt for something regarding this.

gamefly free trial June 4, 2019 at 8:47 pm

I’m curious to find out what blog system you are working with?
I’m experiencing some small security issues
with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more safe.
Do you have any recommendations?

Google June 9, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Very couple of web-sites that come about to be in depth beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly nicely worth checking out.

Google June 13, 2019 at 2:53 am

Here are some of the sites we advise for our visitors.

water heater waterbury June 17, 2019 at 7:48 am

usually posts some really fascinating stuff like this. If youre new to this site

liteblue usps June 17, 2019 at 5:04 pm

just beneath, are quite a few absolutely not connected web pages to ours, having said that, they are certainly really worth going over

plenty of fish dating site July 25, 2019 at 4:31 am

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web
the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you,
I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they plainly don’t
know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

smore.com July 25, 2019 at 9:28 pm

I don’t even understand how I stopped up here, however I thought
this publish was good. I don’t recognise who you might be but certainly you’re going to
a famous blogger should you aren’t already. Cheers! pof natalielise

Google August 16, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Here are some links to web sites that we link to due to the fact we consider they are worth visiting.

PPPD 789 August 20, 2019 at 10:37 am

always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I appreciate but dont get a good deal of link really like from

Juhu Escorts August 20, 2019 at 10:34 pm

Here are a few of the websites we suggest for our visitors

free download for pc windows August 22, 2019 at 9:25 am

The information mentioned inside the article are several of the most beneficial readily available

pc app free download August 22, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Sites of interest we have a link to

ama August 22, 2019 at 6:35 pm

although internet websites we backlink to beneath are considerably not connected to ours, we feel they may be actually worth a go through, so possess a look

sewa led screen August 24, 2019 at 5:37 am

always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but do not get a good deal of link appreciate from

سكس August 24, 2019 at 9:12 am

Here is an excellent Blog You might Uncover Fascinating that we Encourage You

Google August 25, 2019 at 12:01 am

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine several unrelated data, nonetheless actually really worth taking a search, whoa did one particular learn about Mid East has got a lot more problerms at the same time.

thrusting jack rabbit vibrator August 26, 2019 at 5:12 am

very few internet websites that occur to become in depth below, from our point of view are undoubtedly very well worth checking out

cat crap for glasses August 28, 2019 at 4:53 pm

we prefer to honor lots of other world-wide-web websites around the internet, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Underneath are some webpages worth checking out

free download for pc windows August 29, 2019 at 6:30 am

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a number of unrelated data, nonetheless actually really worth taking a appear, whoa did one particular understand about Mid East has got far more problerms also

fake pussy August 29, 2019 at 11:47 am

below youll come across the link to some websites that we consider you’ll want to visit

vibrating strap on review August 29, 2019 at 12:53 pm

one of our guests not too long ago advised the following website