Crate Kings » Producer Interviews » Lord Finesse, Ogee, Diamond On Sampling Vs. Keyboards

Lord Finesse, Ogee, Diamond On Sampling Vs. Keyboards

April 1, 2009

Splash Magazine delivers a interview with the D.I.T.C. crew as they discuss touring and upcoming projects.  Producers Diamond, Lord Finesse, and Ogee specifically get into issues such as the resurgence of digging, resurgence of sampling, and keyboard based production.

Notable Quotes:
"I always feel sampling is a great look because I think when people play keyboards, if you’re not a tremendous keyboard player, I don’t think you should hit a few notes and call that Hip-Hop" – Lord Finesse

1. Lord Finesse Talks Record Digging, Convention Stories
  2. Lord Finesse & Biz Markie @ True School Park Jam
  3. Lord Finesse On The Greatness of DJ Roc Raida
  4. Could Diddy & Bad Boy Save Sampling? – Slate Magazine
  5. Comprehensive Sampling Dictionary Compiled By Model Art Tokyo

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

tony traxx April 1, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I WAS BUGGIN OUT OFF OF THE INTERVIER ‘ BUT IF YOU CAN GET PAST THAT THERE ARE A WEALTH OF JEWELS DROPPED ON THIS CLIP.

Young Dre April 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm

ROFL @ the interviewer diamond d looked like he was bout to kill himself lol

tony traxx April 2, 2009 at 4:13 am

THERE SAYING HEY ‘ IF U NOT A KEYBOARD PLAYER .SAMPLE SOME SHIT.

Cai April 2, 2009 at 7:50 am

Nice interview, Fat Joe needs to be down or bounce for good… It’s funny how theses dudes are saying they sample from the net but most “pure” hip hop ppl say that’s against the orgins of hip hop…theses dudes are Digging in the Crates and they sample from the net…so what are the “pure” hip hop ppl saying now?

Also I just seen that Diamond D video Good/Bad, very dope beat homie…

Stay Up!

Rokwell April 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm

@ Cai

It’s a new era man, new times. You can still digg for records from the net. Back then there was no ease of going on the computer and find crazy sounds. They are still diggin. The music does not sound different if they got it from the net or digged it from a record.

Who cares what the purist say. Its still hip hop at least to me.

P.S. STOP HATING ON THE INTERVIEWER TONY…….J/P HA!

TONY TRAXX April 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm

i agree cal

Selectah April 2, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I’m I the only one that knows the guys name is OC not OGEE!

Semantik April 2, 2009 at 6:36 pm

@Selectah
OC is a member of D.I.T.C. along with producer DJ Ogee. Both appeared in the video.

TONY TRAXX April 2, 2009 at 7:26 pm

i know who OC IS HE HAD A JOINT CALLED TIMES UP ! BACK IN THE DAY. TONY TRAXX KNOWS HIS HIP HOP. (GOOGLE IT) THAT WAS BACK IN LATE 80′S / EARLY 90′S. HE HAD SKILLS . RECORD WAS KINDS HOT. CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE SAMPLE USED IN THAT JOINT ?

Cai April 3, 2009 at 5:22 am

^I know but I’m not telling…I sampled that joint too…

LOLAS April 3, 2009 at 1:18 pm

LOL @ them havin no clue bout sp1200′s sample rate. 16bit? no? 8bit? thats wack

killa April 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm

LOLAS you serious? Why does it matter, they are masters of the machine it’s not like they thought often about a spec that they couldn’t do a thing about.

tony traxx April 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

LORD FINESS NEEDS TO LAY OFF THE SNACKS lol

Free Defy April 4, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Man I love the way D.I.T.C is naturally professional with
production termanology. Like, this is the first time I’ve heard producers talk like that in live interviews. Hot shit!

DJ Multiple Sex Partners April 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm

This was a f***ing goldmine, thank you. Interviewer should learn to speak in single sentences, though. Damn.

Been digging through the archives here @ Crate Kings, I stopped checking it for awhile and just about everything here is dope…thanks for the education.

MB April 6, 2009 at 11:35 am

Word, if i didnt wanna Sample
I would pick up some real instruments.
i was going to take Piano Lessons, learn to play keys.
I still wanna learn that some day though.

But the Sound that made me love Hip-Hop in the first place was that sampled sound in the beats so thats why i sample.
not because i cant play keys cause i can come up with a melody easily when im on a keyboard.
Its cause of the sound i cant recreate on a keyboard.
I cant recreate a orchestra on a keyboard, or a band.

The Admiral April 6, 2009 at 11:38 am

I doesn’t matter if you use the net or go to that special goodwill to get records you have to have a knack to sample……I own over 1500 records and just recently obtained all of the Ultimate Break series from the net….I’ve found several sites that just have imports trhat would cost 1000 or more and I get them for free or a small fee….also the sound quality is better…most real producers never stopped sampling they just use obscure records…or chop it up so you can’t tell th eoriginal source….And it’s nice to see DITC get some props , they should have formed a production team like the Hitmen they would have still been gettin money right now……

soulpreme April 24, 2009 at 5:31 am

noobs…sure there is oc in too but the guy sitting between him and finesse is dj ogee…

DISTRAKT July 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm
BlegeRigbrilE November 22, 2012 at 1:08 am
http://yahoo.com February 10, 2013 at 12:53 am

“Lord Finesse, Ogee, Diamond On Sampling Vs.
Keyboards” was a good post. If only there were considerably more web
blogs such as this specific one on the net. Anyhow, thank you for your personal precious time,
Phillipp